Monday, November 12, 2012

Weekly Challenge #95

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:
  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tab above, or follow this link
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge.
  • and i want to say a very extra special big heart felt thank you to everyone who donated funds.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit of this wonderful community.  HUGS!
good morning everyone!

Well, i was back to work this week - and what a crazy week it was.  I think Mercury must be in retrograde because things were just not working with electronics for me. 

Thursday morning started my run of bad electronic ju-ju... i managed to set off the office alarm system and it went off for almost 20 minutes while i argued with our security system that YES, i DO work there... before my coworker arrived and shut it off.  Then we had to go straight into an all day meeting, and my spreadsheets weren't working properly, and every machine in the office was out of toner so i couldn't print the things i needed... then on Friday i accidentally locked myself out of facebook for 24 hours, and when i got home that night my laptop kept crashing and i was freaking out thinking it was broken. 

It was just a stressful week... that plus Artoo went back to daycare this week after a 2 week hiatus from being sick, then his surgery.  He did amazing, though, and seems to be doing much better now. 

It's interesting how much the tone of his voice has changed after having his tonsils removed.

Friday and Saturday it snowed and snowed and snowed - and the roads were HORRIBLE and it took me over a half hour to get to my Chiropractor on Saturday, it's usually a 12-15 minute drive. 

epic snow drift hanging from our roof

SNOW
  It kept snowing all through Saturday, and by Sunday morning we had received over 30cm or 12" of snow.  Sunday was a beautiful day, though, it was -17c (1F) and there was no wind - so Chewie and I went outside to play - a very rare thing for me to play outside, but we had fun.  for almost 2 hours!
Chewie making snow angels

Chewie and the neighbour girl, playing on the big snow pile

trees

B-rad's car, covered in the white stuff.
Ah, Winter in Saskatchewan. ;)

This week we have a guest poster, a fellow CZT who had a great idea for a challenge - so without further ado, i give you:

Weekly Challenge #95: Guest Post - "Mickey Challenge"

Greetings from Texas. My name is Courtney and I'll be your guest challenger this week.
On November 18, 1928 the Walt Disney Studio released the animated short film, "Steamboat Willie". This was the official debut of Mickey Mouse as well as his girlfriend, Minnie.

Since Mickey has been touted as one of the world's most popular cartoon characters and noting that his debut was in a black and white film, I feel it is only fitting that we use our black and white Zentangle art to pay tribute to Mickey, Minnie and/or Walt Disney.

I chose to take this challenge quite literally so started with a decision to use the steering wheel (is that what it's called on a ship??) on Willie's steamboat as my string.  Once that decision was made it seemed to demand to be a mandala so I started with my somewhat less than perfect mandala.  Then as tribute to Minnie I added some polka dots (yes, in the "olden" days she was fond of polka dots) and Mickey's initials became the monogram tangled for the spokes on the wheel.  The curves above the wheel were based on Mickey's facial mask above his eyes.


Then I decided to also do a tile as a tribute to our favorite mouse.


I am so looking forward to seeing your posts.  Please feel free to choose to create your challenge on a tile or as a mandala.
 
My name is Courtney Frantz.  For many years I taught first grade and special education but with a minor in art and a fascination with all things creative I've taken many classes and taught many art classes over the years.  As soon as I found out about Zentangle I signed up for the training and have been happily tangling ever since.

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address).  The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

16 comments:

  1. Laura, the world is white around you and Chewie looks like he still loves the wonder of snow. I used to live in Minnesota and I understand cabin fever but that shouldn't set in for awhile. I am glad that Artoo is better, and work will get easier, most of the time. Thank you and Courtney for the challenge. Mickey is fun, though those beginnings of Mickey were not my favorite they did grow into something big didn't they. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had sooooooo much fun with this, but not as much fun as you and Chewie in the snow!
    Thanks Laura! Thanks Courtney! You took me back to my childhood with this one :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, Disney!! There goes my to-do list for today.
    So glad Artoo is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the blast from the past it was a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was really fun, thank you Courtney. Do you have a blog I can look at. I really love your idea about doing a Zendala, so I also did an out-of-balance one. Thank you Laura for having the patience to give us a challenge this week after all the aggravation you have gone through. I am glad you had time to play in the snow with Chewie, and that Artoo is back in school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a special challenge.What wonderful fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This seemed a bit tricky at first but I ended up loving this tangle, and I think there are numerous possibilites with it. Thank you to Courtney and to you Laura for posting this challenge.
    I love your pics of the snow, looks like you had fun and its good to hear Artoo is much better.
    I hope you have a lovely stress free week :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one of my most favorite challenges to do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooo Im so jealous of Chewie now...I wanna be there on the snow with him...:)))

    Yeah Laura, I can empathise with all things Techie going awry all at the same time! Going thru it myself here at work..:( Im suddenly all thumbs....

    So very happy to hear of Artoo's progress...:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks a lot for the challenge! I was very tempted to skip this one, but it wouldn't do participating only in challenges you like at once, would it? It did grow up on me eventually, so I already did two pieces and more are coming :) so thank you both, Laura and Courtney!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just like that we have winter too, but not as much snow as you have. I hope that this week has been better for you! Enjoyed the challenge. Thanks again for all you do! Sue

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the Challenge! I had to push myself to do a Mandala, which I don't like the circle. Don't know why! But I had a lot of fun with this one! Thanks so much for the blast from the past!
    I certainly envy the snow there! I love snow in the winter. seems like in Virginia we get less and less snow every year.
    Have fun with the kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great snow pictures! Love them. Enjoyed the challenge especially this week - thanks Courtney!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Laura & Courtney :) Definitely outside my comfort zone, but a fun challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fun challenge!! Love Mickey!! Hope I didn't accidentally post twice but if so, sorry!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Had fun putting a mickey spin on all the patterns I used. Thanks for the challenge! http://tictactangle.blogspot.com/2013/01/oh-mickey-youre-so-fine.html

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!