Monday, April 13, 2015

Weekly Challenge #213

Good Morning everyone!

This past week Chewie has been home from school for Spring Break, and THANKFULLY the weather actually cooperated, for the most part.  There were a few days of snow at the beginning of the week, but by the end of the week we had highs of +20C (68F) which we thoroughly enjoyed.

I finally loaded some pictures off my phone this week, so be forewarned - a lot of photos are coming....



Dapper Dans
One morning i came downstairs to see the boys wearing these hats and being fancy.   :D so cute.

So, okay - the week after WeLove2Tangle was pretty crazy, and i haven't really had a chance to tell you all about it.
Artoo at the airport
The Tuesday after WL2T our friend Kelsey came to visit us!  She flew in from Calgary to stay with us for a few days so that she and i could go to Maroon5 on the Wednesday together.   They boys were super excited to see her, we haven't seen her since the Moebius Conference in Washington DC last summer.

On our way to see our boyfriend Adam Levine
So we got to show Kelsey the sights of Saskatoon, and she and i drove to the concert... and were stuck in traffic for like TWO HOURS... it was brutal.... LUCKILY we only missed the opening band, but we were right in time for THIS:

WOOoooooOoOOOOOOOOooOOoO!!!
It was super fun.  We sang and danced and laughed at how hilariously awful the traffic was.... good times.  And we talked about how sometimes the less-than-perfect experiences make for the best memories.  And i know that's true, because i'll probably always remember those times in traffic belting out Maroon5 and Kelsey making jokes to keep me from getting all road ragey...

She flew back to Calgary on Thursday evening and on Saturday morning we packed up the boys and headed to Calgary ourselves for Artoo's eye appointment check up - which you may remember ended with us spending an entire day at the Alberta Children's Hospital emergency room until past midnight.

 BUT - before that happened, we drove through Drumheller, AB on our way to Calgary.  Drumheller has one of the worlds best dinosaur deposits.  And Artoo loves him some dinosaurs.  So we stopped to climb up the World's Largest Dinosaur - and 86ft high fiberglass TRex.

Quite Possibly the most adorable Dinosaur on the planet... the Artoo-asaurus

Smelly dino feet
 Here's a family photo from the mouth of the dino...
CHEESE
And one from the inside.

hope he doesn't choke!
 In Calgary we stayed with my aunt and uncle, who have a trampoline outside, which totally made Chewie's whole trip.

ACTION SHOT!!
And then Artoo got sick.
It was exhausting.  But we made it to his eye appointment where the doc told us the great news that the first surgery was great, and the botox injections were successful, which means he will not have to undergo another eye surgery!  HOORAY!!!  But, he needs glasses.

 speaking of glasses, check this pic out:

Gol'darned if i don't make adorable children. 
 So, now that we're all caught up - spring break....

 after the snow melted the boys and i did some yard work...


the cutest helpers ever
 and played on the swings, funny to remember that just a few weeks ago i posted a similar photo with snow all over the place.

swingin!
We drew on the sidewalk with chalk

A favourite activiy
 We had playdates!

Artoo got really good at climbing this ladder all by himself... i am so proud
 Then on the weekend B-rad and Chewie played a little catch

love this
 And it was a gorgeous day with lots of wind, so we went to the park and flew B-rad's big kite!

so smiley
Artoo was pretty excited to be 'flying' dad's kite - except that moments after i took this photo the kite pulled so hard that b-rad knocked him over.  he wasn't thrilled about that.

I had a turn flying the kite, and it was pulling me all over the place!  B-rad actually snapped the strings.  twice.  and they are 130lb test!!  So, it was a crazy windy day.  fun though.

We spent so much time outside this week, it was awesome - and hopefully a sign of more beautiful days to come.  The boys were so used to playing inside, it took some convincing to get them out there, but once they were out they were golden.

Weekly Challenge #213: "Traced Object Strings"

okay, so back at WeLove2Tangle, one of the cool things at the end of the day was when Margaret Bremner shared with us a quick trick to making interesting strings.

She uses the leftover cardboard from board game pieces as stencils to create interesting strings and she brought a whole bunch with her for us to try out... So, i grabbed a stack of tiles and i just traced strings like crazy, knowing that i would come back to them and do them up!  (You can see what kind of cardboard stencils i mean in her blog post here - and the challenge that she refers to in that post is here)

So, these are the Strings i made (you can't really see the black one, sorry)




I'm sure all of these will be super fun to try out.

So, this week's challenge is to trace an object to create a new and interesting string.  I chose this string:

love it.
 and my finished tile is here:

LOVE!!
So, what if you don't happen to have any cardboard bits left over from a board game?  That's okay! If you have a stencil, use it - or Grab any object and trace it... here's an example of one i did on a Bijou tile.  I grabbed this little Spiderman keychain that Chewie got from the easter bunny and traced it.


Then i traced around this spiderman eraser - also courtesy of the easter bunny. 


The result of this string is here: 

not too shabby!!
I hope you'll have some fun with this challenge this week.  I know for me i often get stumped on the string - just where to even begin.  So it's nice for me to have a stack to draw from - and i also know i can trace any found object as well!  I'm looking forward to see what you all use so i can add those to my bag o' tricks as well.

Have a great week!

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
If you have a blog or host your images on line (like on Flickr or Picassa or Pinterest), add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

24 comments:

  1. OMGosh! You have THE. MOST ADORABLE. kids on the planet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing all these photo's, the boys are great (again)!
    I love your tile, it's so shiny and elegant. I'll see what to trace .....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog post, Laura! Your energy and enthusiasm is infectious and inspiring! Gorgeous photos and a super String idea.
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love seeing happy children! Beautiful boys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finally figured out how to have a Flickr account and posted some of my tangles and TIA's. Now I just have to figure out the Linky Machine and I'll be able to join your weekly challenges. I also enjoy hearing about your boys who are adorable. Mine are grown, so it brings back memories of all those joyful, playful times. Thanks for sharing with us in your beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Your tangles this week are just gorgeous. It was fun to see all the activities of the last week, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings from CZT Training #18, Cuteness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sure have had a busy week! Splendid springtime tile!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always find it wonderful to see children enjoying playing out in the sun, instead of glued to a screen somewhere. I'm glad things are going better healthwise for all of you and hope it continues. As for the challenge, well, it certainly wasthat for me, but when I look at your tiles I just think "one day, maybe, one day..."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photo's of your boys! Great challenge, how did you know I kept the stencils of a game we bought recently? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great pictures and a great challenge. As always!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such handsome boys! Mine are about the same distance apart and I really miss them being that young... they grow up so fast! Thank you so much for sharing.

    This week's tangle was interesting, I've been so busy lately that just taking a few minutes to doodle was a nice change.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the challenge! I had a lot of fun with this one. I think it is great for you to remind us how easy it is to invent our own strings! Wonderful family pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fun with the boys! - I posted a quick tile I did a little while ago that fits this challenge - but just wait - I've got a new one in progress - and quite a story to go with it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your posts about your cute and lovely boys :-)
    Thank you for that interesting challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I look forward to your weekly challenge and hearing about your boys. Especially love your first tile this week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE this Challenge...mainly because I'm always looking through my boys toy boxes to find things to trace and use as strings! Give it a try...you'll be amazed at what you find in there!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I started this challenge while waiting at the Dentist's office; so I was limited in what I could use. But I did come up with a couple of items that I could use for the string. It's a very simple tile; but it meets the criterion for this challenge.

    Glad that you all had some outside time; hope it made you feel terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your "sunny fun" family pics! Hope everyone is feeling better to enjoy the weekend. This challenge encouraged me to think "outside the box"! Thanks! ....Deanne B.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This was my very first challenge entry. I used a refrigerator magnet number 8, it was the first thing I saw. Thanks for all of the awesome ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Laura!!! I love your tile!!! All your pics of your kids are so parallel with my children that it just makes me SMILE!!! Thanks for sharing! I hope you're enjoying your spring weather!!! Have a great weekend!! :0) Annette

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like your tiles and the object idea for strings. I am a quilter so I grabed my scissors and drew them on my tile. I like how it turned out. pictures of my objects and penciled strings are on Pinterest on my VinDoodle Board. Hope your weekend is going great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like your tiles and the object idea for strings. I am a quilter so I grabed my scissors and drew them on my tile. I like how it turned out. pictures of my objects and penciled strings are on Pinterest on my VinDoodle Board. Hope your weekend is going great!

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!